The Student Handbook will give you some understanding of how UCM works, but you will find out much more once you get started and begin to get your bearings. The information on this page is designed to provide you with some basic information about things you may want to know before then and will hopefully reassure you that plenty of support is available to help you settle in to UCM quickly.
start dates for 2023-24
First year Induction will commence on 6th, 7th and 8th September, you will be notified of when to attend.
THE FIRST MORNING
A team from UCM will be on hand when you walk through the front door on your first day to greet you and make sure you know exactly where you are going. You can plan your route to UCM using the Bus Journey Planner. Simply enter your destination, where you're travelling from and at what time, and it will help you find the best route. Information about buses and costs can be found here or by calling 662525. You can use your Student Card as ID on the buses, however you may like to explore Go Card options.
WHAT TO WEAR
Unless you have been told to wear PPE or to dress in a certain way by your course leader, we suggest just dressing in a way which is comfortable for you. Students here mostly dress casually so they can be comfortable moving, sitting and travelling to and from UCM. Some like to dress smartly and others enjoy being creative in the way they dress. It is entirely up to you!
WHAT TO BRING
For you course: Some students are asked to bring specific items related to their course, otherwise bring a pen, some paper and a tablet or laptop (if you have one) on your first day and you will be told about anything else you may need later. (Stationery can be bought at Reception).
Food and drink: You can either bring a packed lunch or some money for a meal from our refectory (#2) or a snack from the Grab and Go and vending machines (free water is available throughout UCM). If you are entitled to free lunches you will be able to collect your meal card from Reception. More information on how to apply for free lunches can be found here.
fees and funding
where can I find support?
- Your tutor will help you settle in and ensure you find out all you need to know to be successful in your studies and will be available throughout the year to help you be the best you can be.
- Student Services will provide support about any concerns you may have outside your studies and to help you develop and grow as a person.
- The Academic Support Centre will also provide you with extra academic assistance.
forms you need to complete and upload to your learner portal before starting
If you are given an unconditional OR conditional offer you will need to complete the following:
- If you are under 18 on 1st September - please complete this 'Parental/carer consent form for off-site activities' (Parents/carers to complete if appropriate) then upload to the results/evidence tab on your UCM Learner Portal as well as the 'Mobile Device Agreement' (parents/carers will need to countersign).
- If you are over 18 on 1st September - complete the 'Mobile Device Agreement' only.
Once you have completed them, please upload to the upload results/evidence tab.
Talk to us before you start
In the mean-time, if you have any concerns about anything at all – personal issues, finances, study-life balance or anything else, Student Services staff are available to help, so don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org