#UCMtalks is a series of inspiring and powerful talks by experts in their respective fields, organised to create a platform for meaningful discussions on a variety of current topics and encourage sharing of new ideas and thinking.
We're pleased to announce the following dates for the zoom talks - with further information to follow:
23rd November 2022
It’s the Cathedral which killed him : Bishop Rowley Hill’s Cathedral of 1886
Presented by Dr Peter Litman, UCM Hon Fellow - Register here
18th January 2023
What has DNA testing ever done for me? An exploration of the applied DNA testing universe
Presented by Dr Rachel Glover, UCM Hon Fellow - Register here
15th February 2023
Cosmic Rays for a Changing World: From Supernova to Soybean
Presented by Dr Patrick Stowell, Research Fellow at the University of Durham - Register here
15th March 2023
Ocean climate solutions: how taking good care of the sea can help build a better future for everyone
Presented by Dr Fiona Gell, UCM Hon Fellow - Register here
19th April 2023
Registered Nurses’ experiences of working within professional and contractual boundaries: A Grounded Theory study
Presented by Dr Bernadette Devlin, Senior Lecturer, Keyll Daree, Manx Care - Register here
17th May 2023
Women in Manx Politics: preliminary findings
Presented by Dr Catriona Mackie (UCM Lecturer) & Prof Peter Edge (UCM Hon Fellow) - Register here
- 19th October 2022: This year's Honorary Fellow Professor Ken Mills of Queens University Belfast & Chair of UCM Research Panel spoke about 'Silver linings; how cancer research methods and everyday drugs helped to fight Covid'.
- 8th December 2021: UCM Honorary Fellow, Professor Peter Edge of Oxford Brookes University delivered an engaging talk on the recent local elections during his discussion about 'Putting the Manx 2021 Election into Context'. Listen back below:
- 12th January 2022: UCM Lecturer and Programme Leader Dr Florida Clements, delivered a talk about 'The Isle of Man: all dressed up but nowhere to go. Can place branding and marketing strategies help turn around the fortunes of the Isle of Man?'. Listen back below:
- 16th February 2022: Christopher Weeks ACR, Manx National Heritage Collections Care and Conservation Manager, talked about 'CAD and historic structures: re-constructing the schooner Peggy'. Listen back below:
- 9th March 2022: Dr Tim Grass, Senior Research Fellow at Spurgeon's College, London, spoke about 'Old Priest, New Presbyter? The Changing Manx Clergy, 1570-1698'. Listen back below:
- 27th April 2022: Matt Coleman, Senior Researcher, DEFA and Bangor University will be discussing 'IOM Biosphere and Marine Environment Management'. Listen back below:
On 19th July 2019, we launched the first-ever Festival of Research aimed at attracting researchers in all discipline areas across the island with the aim of promoting research on the Isle of Man. Festival of Research 2019 roundup.
Throughout the year we will be organising various research-related events, please look out for these events on this website.